A GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES FOR BID COMMITTEES OF THE MICHIGAN CONVENTION OF YOUNG PEOPLE IN ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS.
EVEN THOUGH EACH COMMITTEE MAY BE DIFFERENT IN SIZE AND INVOLVEMENT, THE FOLLOWING LIST OF DUTIES ARE ESSENTIAL FOR A MCYPAA BID COMMITTEE. WHILE SOME BID COMMITTEES MAY NOT BE LARGE ENOUGH TO FILL EACH POSITION WITH DIFFERENT MEMBERS OTHERS MAY BE LARGE ENOUGH TO CREATE OTHER SERVICE POSITIONS. SMALLER GROUPS MAY ALLOW MEMBERS TO FILL MORE THAN ONE POSITION AND LARGER GROUPS CAN HAVE CO-CHAIRS FOR EACH POSITION. ADDITIONAL MEMBERS CAN ALSO FULFILL OTHER DUTIES SUCH AS AREA LIAISON AND WEBSITE COORDINATOR AMONG MANY OTHERS. WHATEVER THE CASE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT A MEMBER OF MCYPAA ADVISORY COUNCIL (MCYPAAAC), A MEMBER OF THE MCYPAA HOST COMMITTEE, OR A MEMBER OF ANOTHER MCYPAA BID COMMITTEE FOR ASSISTANCE.
Chairperson and Co-Chairperson
- The Chair and Co-Chair coordinate and set up the time and place for bid committee meetings and will notify any/all changes made concerning the meeting.
- The Chair and Co-Chair are to keep order at all bid committee meetings. Roberts Rules of Order is a suggested guideline to follow in order to chair a business meeting.
- The Chair and Co-Chair assist all other committee chairpersons as well as any bid committee members with their duties when needed.
- The Chair and Co-Chair should make sure that all bid requirements are met, that an acceptable bid package is put together, and that it is submitted to the MCYPAAAC before their bid presentations at the convention.
- The Secretary should read the minutes from the previous bid committee meeting and take minutes for the current meeting.
- The Secretary will distribute the mid committee minutes to MCYPAAAC, Host Committee members, and to the bid committee members who request the minutes.
- The Secretary must make all bid committee minutes available to above committee members upon request.
- The Treasurer will maintain all bid committee account records and hold any funds that the committee possesses.
- The Treasurer will make all account records available to MCYPAAAC and to bid committee members.
- The Treasurer will make sure that all funds are spent wisely and within the budget of the committee. All financial transactions of the committee should be only according to approved, carried motions of the bid committee.
- For each bid committee meeting the Treasurer will prepare and announce all financial matters occurring since the previous bid committee meeting.
- The Outreach Chair should keep EVERYONE informed of upcoming activities. EVERYONE includes: MCYPAAAC members, host committee members, all other MCYPAA bid committee members, and all other AA members throughout the state and the world (the most important of which being the AA members that want to know or may want to know about the events). Contact with MCYPAA committees, other YPAA committees, and AA members throughout Michigan is important. (An Area Liaison is also recommended).
- The Outreach Chair should make and distribute all flyers of upcoming activities to EVERYONE and make announcements at AA meetings concerning bid committee activities (if announcements are welcome by the group).
- The Outreach Chair should maintain a current database of the flyers used throughout the year.
- The Special Events Chair should plan entertainment events for other AA’s to attend. When planning these events, the Special Events Chair should consider the timing in relation to events by other MCYPAA Bid Committees, the MCYPAA Host Committee, the MCYPAA Advisory Council, and other important AA events.
- Events include dances, card parties, dinners, or anything that provides fun and fellowship for AA members. These events can also be used to raise funds for the bid committee.
- The Merchandise Chair is in charge of raising funds for the Bid Committee by selling merchandise such as t-shirts, coffee mugs, and kazoos. The Merchandise Chair should be responsible enough to work with the Treasurer to come up with ideas that are within the budget of the group and are aimed at raising funds for the committee.
- No merchandise should be bought or sold without the consent of the committee’s collective conscious.
- The Hotel Chair will work with hotels in the Bid Committee’s desired area in which the convention is to be held.
- Please see the MCYPAA Bidding Requirements for a bid committee’s hotel package necessities.